Antonio Scarpacci (played by Tony Shalhoub) is a local cab driver from Italy, who is well liked by everyone in the terminal and is trying to make a living here in the United States. Antonio sends most of his money to his family. Antonio has a crush on Casey and everytime he tries to talk to her, he starts talking gibberish.
INTERESTING FACTS of Antonio Scarpacci
- Antonio is the son of Angelo and Anna-Maria. He is from Pasitano, Italy. His grandparents were married for 81 years. He had a yellow blanket as a child. As a child in Italy, for Christmas the family would decorate the tree and then carve the traditional Christmas eel.
- Antonio came to the United States in a small box with his brothers.
- Antonio's first job was head waiter at Pontrelli's, a local restaurant on Nantucket. While working at Pontrelli's, a man died choking on a chicken bone. After being head waiter, he became a cab driver, servicing people to and from the airport. Antonio once worked as a salesman for the Whispering Pines Mortuary selling coffins and burial plots.
- Most of his evenings include a flashlight, and some very strange shadow puppets.
- Antonio has an uncle who is a plumber and another uncle Carlo) who is a very rich, well-to-do cobbler. Antonio has another uncle named Carmine. Antonio has yet another uncle Pollo, who drove a beat-up old stationwagon. One of Antonio uncles makes genuine calf-skin gloves in Italy for ten dollars a pair. Antonio's cousin Angelo was once on television for robbing a convenient store.
- Antonio gets his clothes dry cleaned at Jiffy Cleaners.
- Antonio can play a little bit on the guitar.
- Antonio once saved a man's life by making his seem more pathetic so the guy would not commit suicide.
- Antonio nearly got deported because the government refused to renew his visa, so he married Helen in order to stay in the country. Antonio did, however, win a visa in congress' visa lottery, and therefore got divorced from Helen. Actually, Helen forgot to mail in the divorce papers and they did not get divorced until a few years later, just before Joe and Helen were married.
- Antonio claims to never let anyone see him cry, although he might have been in tears after finding out he would get deported.
- Antonio is a butt man.
- Antonio wears the same size clothing as one of Fay's ex-husbands.
- Wednesdays are Antonios days off. Fridays are his busiest days.
- Antonio's house has a little trellace with Morning Glories on the porch. There is an apple tree in his front yard. His neighbor has a the Yard Demon 742 Leafblower.
- Antonio is not very good at face-to-face confrontations.
- Antonio is allergic to clams. If he eats one, his tongue begins to swell up, his throat constricts, and he often has to seek medical help.
He hates being late for airline flights.
- Antonio likes a grilled cheese sandwich with double pickles.
- Antonio considers Sylvester Stallone to be the handsomest man in the world.
- Fell instantly infatuated with Casey when she came to the island, comparing her to the goddess Venus.
- He once wrote a poem for the Nantucket Tourism Board. It goes:
Waiting for a fare.
Here comes one now.
Looks like he wants to go someplace far.
You just want directions to the lighthouse?
It's right there you stinking tourist!
What are you blind?!
Hey! You're going to lose that finger pal!
Get in, I'll drive you into the cold dark ocean!
Waiting for a fare.