Brian Michael Hackett (played by Steven Weber), Joe's younger brother, arrived after being asked to return to Nantucket by Joe because of something left to the brothers in their father's will. The two had not seen each other in six years, after Brian ran away with Carol, Joe's fiancee. Apparently, however, Carol and Brian are no longer together because she left him for someone else. Anyway, Joe and Brian settle their differences and Brian decides to stay on Nantucket to work for Joe at Sandpiper Air.
Brian Hackett is a humorous, often sarcastic person. Two years younger than his brother Joe, he did not feel the loss of his mother to the same extent. People often consider him not serious enough about anything, but laughing and joking are the ways he deals with serious issues. His two most serious relationships have both failed, one with his ex-wife Carol, the other with Alex Lambert.
INTERESTING FACTS of Brian Hackett
- Brian's mom, Mae, ran out on the family when he was only ten, and basically his brother Joe took care of him as their father eventually became insane. She used to put a little alcohol in his warm milk at night to help him sleep.
He reacted to his mother's leaving by sleeping under his bed (a bunk bed which he shared with Joe, who had the top bunk) for a couple months and telling everyone his real mother was Shirley Partridge. As a child, he used to look at and memorize his father's Playboy magazines.
- Brian loved the television show, The Bionic Man.
- Brian often wrote letters to Captain Kangaroo and would watch the program each and every morning to see if one of them would be read on the air. Turns out Joe had been hiding them all and telling Brian they were mailed. Brian was so mad that none of them were ever read that he once gave Captain Kangaroo the finger in New York City.
- When Brians father bought him his first Schwinn bicycle, he loved it, slept with it, and couldn't stand being away from it.
- Brians childhood dream was to be an international spy like James Bond.
- In high school, Brian wore braces.
- Brian once painted Joe blue.
- Brian received a scholarship to Princeton, where he even almost made the freshman tennis team. He didn't make the team because of some story about Bengay in the coach's jock strap, but he denied doing it because at the time he was dressing a pig while wearing the coach's wife's lingerie. His college roommate now works in the Public Relations department with the Boston Red Sox.
- Brian was the youngest person ever accepted into NASA, but got kicked out when he supposedly brought a date into the shuttle simulator.
- Brian used to fly planes for Iguana Airlines.
- When his brother Joe was grounded due to hypertension and told Brian he was irresponsible and undependable Brian quit. He was hired by TWA, but turned down the job to come back to work at Sandpiper when he found out Joe was selling the airline to Roy Biggins.
- Brian borrowed Lowell's houseboat to impress Alex and ran into a sixty foot cabin cruiser. The boat sunk, and Lowell moved in with Brian and Joe.
- Brian likes to have a snack in bed at night.
- Brian once flew Oliver North to Nantucket, and Oli game him an autographed copy of his book.
- Brian Hackett always springs for the ten foot Big Sandwich.
- After Alex left him, he saw a psychiatrist named Dr. Greyson.
- Brian went on a date and had sex with his old ninth grade teacher, Miss Jenkins.
- Brian is afraid of heights.
- Brian considers Kevin Costner to be the handsomest man in the world.
- Nicknames: Slick (by Alex Lambert)
- Good Luck Charms: a piece of his little blue blanket from childhood