Helen Chappel Hackett (played by Crystal Bernard) runs the lunch counter in the terminal. She is known for her sharp words and sarcasm, especially because of her slight southern accent. She spent most of her life devoted to playing the cello, but recently, since marrying Joe, has not been as devoted.
INTERESTING FACTS of Helen Chappel Hackett
- Helen moved to Nantucket from Texas when she was ten years old. She has a sister, Casey.
- As a child she was fairly obese, and was always made fun of by kids at school.
- Her childhood dreams were to play the cello and marry Joe Hackett. She got her cello when she was six years old.
- The first words she spoke to Joe and Brian Hackett were: "Hi, I'm Helen Chapel. Wanna wrestle?"
- At the high school's spring dance, Phil Stephan asked her to go just to win a bet. Joe walked her home that night and she cried on her shoulder.
- Helen took over the terminal's lunch counter from her parents. She said her mother taught her everything she knows.
- She took some law classes in college.
- Her first ever call back about a cello audition was from the Cambridge Symphony Orchestra. She played the cello religiously, and claimed to have played for over ten thousand hours. The closest she ever came to playing in a respected orchestra was for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, but did not make it because her plane went down in the ocean. Once, she even played for Edward Tinsdale, the conductor of the Minneapolis Philharmonic.
- She auditioned and earned a spot playing the cello for the Maine State Symphony. Unfortunately, the orchestra lost its funding and the job was canceled, so she left the island for New York after her and Joe had a big argument. After leaving Nantucket to try her cello playing in New York, she ended up working as a waitress in a strip bar to make a living.
- hile living in New York, she attended a seminar with Dr. Frasier Crane, and claims he ruined her life.
- After Joe sued her for crashing her jeep into his office, she did it again.
- She once married Antonio so that he would not get deported. She wore his mother's wedding dress.
- She became a member for a very short time in the Nantucket String Quartet after Winston Catlow quit. She was the Quartet's third pick. She played with a cello Brian and Joe bought for her.
- She once had to land Joe's plane when Brian was knocked out cold.
- She laughs like a chipmunk.
- Helen considers the sexiest male body part to be buns.
- She dated Davis Lynch for a year, and even agreed to marry him until Joe asked her to marry him instead and she accepted.